Thursday, April 1, 2010

Did you smile today?

Be honest. A real Smile....even though the checkout line was too long and you were grumpy to finally be conversing with the Checker?, to a neighbor simply driving by?, to a co-worker you pass in the hallway whom you don't even know?, to the drivers you blame your anxiety on for being in a 'rush'?....Reflect. Did you Smile today?

Greetings have amazing powers. Power that is so strong it doesn't matter if the greeting was verbal or not. A simple Smile can without doubt make someone's day. And Smiles are contagious - extremely contagious. You have no idea the real reason the grocery line was so long and so slow, or how your neighbor's day has been or where they are headed, and perhaps the new coworker is experiencing their first day on the job (always a bit awkward). And the slow driver - are they sick? Lost? Grieving?

Imagine the impact a single Smile would have on each of these situations we all share daily. Just a Smile from a friend or stranger eases tension and anxiety immediately. Smiles cause a sense of friendship, of relation, of ' it's going to be ok' - in problem, sickness, or in health. Smiles don't discriminate.

Smiles mean so much, travel so far and take less than a second to give. I challenge you to offer a Smile everyday - you'll be amazed at how many smiles you receive in return. And even deeper, how much of positive impact such a *Simple* act can be (suddenly your anxiety or 'bad day' disappears). Smiles are a tablespoon of free happiness that everyone can enjoy. Here's a Smile from me to you. :)

2 comments:

  1. I so don't smile enough...Nick even tells me this! He has this picture of me from some date in college and I'm drinking a margarita and have the biggest smile on my face. To this day he has the picture framed on his dresser. I'm going to smile more I think! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm smiling to be in touch with you Friend - love you tons.

    ReplyDelete